Last night I couldn’t sleep, so I turned the light back on and started leafing through one of the notebooks next to my bed. And then I realised why my 40 winks were not forthcoming — I’d be ignoring my own advice. There it was, sitting in plain sight a few pages back, in a list I’d forgotten writing:
THINGS I ALREADY KNOW WORK FOR ME
- Meditate daily
- Sleep early, wake early
- Read daily (input)
- Write daily (output)
- Plan tomorrow at the end of today
- Leave phone outside bedroom / Don't use alarm clock
- Express gratitude (write down 3 things I am grateful each day)
- Less pasta. Less bread. Less bloat.
- Remember that "everything around you that you call life was made up by people that were no smarter than you and you can change it, you can influence it, you can build your own things that other people can use". (thanks Steve)
- And for any situations that you can't change, you still have absolute freedom in how you respond to them.
I hadn’t written anything yesterday. And I hadn’t meditated. And I’d just been using my phone in bed. Bad James. I guess my brain likes a chance to empty itself out.
So I scribbled out a little mind map about my current financial situation (the thing that’s playing on my mind most at the moment) then rolled over and went to sleep.
What works for you?
(There should probably be something in this list about doing 2 hours work before you check your emails in the morning. But I haven’t quite got there yet…)
Posted to life in 2013.